Wednesday 25 May 2011

Yummy Chalky Barium

Yesterday I had to go in for the"swallow test". They sat me in a chair that daddy said looked like drop zone at canada's wonderland. They had some troubles strapping me in as I am a little man. Finally the contraption was made so I could sit without falling out of the chair. Mommy was real proud of me, as I was content and calm through the whole thing. She had to put on this massive heavy "gown" to protect her from the xray machine. I got my own piece of protection as well. Mommy was instructed to try different nipple flows and thin and thick formula. They had mixed the formula with barium so they could follow the liquid as it entered me.

Kate, the OT assessed me as I swallowed. She deemed my swallow as "inefficient". The liquid would pool in the pocket above the breathing and swallow tubes, however I would usually get the liquid out before it would enter the lung tube, but it would take me a couple of swallows to push it out. At one point a small bit of the thin formula went to my lungs. Kate will talk to my pediatric Doctor, Dr. Oravec, to discuss what my plan should be.

Daddy took some pictures of the whole ordeal, however he used Emerson's mom's camera and is a little tech newb.
Mommy's being outfitted in her giant robe, which weighed more than her!



Kate and Mommy trying to figure out how to affix me in this chair! I'm too tiny!



Hey it's me!

Mommy trying to feed me... hmmm don't think it's working!


Aspirated so I am done!

Yum Yum Barium!

Amy, my dietician added a few things to my formula yesterday. So we will see how this one goes, hopefully I will start putting on weight, as I have been stuck at 3.15kg for a while now. My parents are contemplating feeding me quarters or using another scale!

Within dark times there is always light.. My central line was heparinized last night so now I can leave my hospital room between feeds! This is good for 24-48 hours, then my line need will be revisited by my doctors. My parents took me for my first walk, which I promptly fell asleep for... Oops!






Dr. Tarnopulski ordered some blood to be collected from me for the Copper test. It had to be done intravenously rather than my usual capillary. Which means I was stabbed in my hand. I knew I had to upstage mommy's blood getting, so I was happy through the whole thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment