Tuesday 3 May 2011

Ethan the Puzzle

I was becoming a puzzle for all the Dr.s and nurses.  I had generated a lot of questions but no answers.  The Dr.s believe that after looking at all my organs and vitals that I must have a metabolic disorder as I was looking good but my chemistry was out of whack.  The Dr.s believe that I could have a rare metabolic disorder as they tried to give me everything that could help with others, but I just didn't respond to any of them. 

Dr. Kozenko drew some blood from me on Friday night for genetic testing for the GA1 disorder and sent it to health Canada.  My parents were told that the results take 2-3 weeks.
I had a skin biopsy today where they cut a piece of skin from my back, I was told it was just a little scrape.  This part of me was sent to the states somewhere so my cells could start growing and hopefully generate some answers.  This takes about 4 weeks, in 2 weeks we will know if the sample is good and cells start to grow.

Tonight I was taken into surgery at 6:30pm to get a central venous catheter in my neck, which enables the nurses to give me fluids and the hope is that they can use this line to get blood from instead of heel poking me everytime.  I was put to sleep and a breathing tube was inserted into my nose.  My Dad waited for me to come out of the operating room, while my Mom was waiting for me in my hospital room.  Hours went by and Mom was getting worried that something must have happened because it seemed to be taking a long time.  At 9:00pm dad went back to the room to tell mom that I was out and in the recovery room and I would be back up in 20 minutes.  The line was a success, although it didn't work for bleeding back. 

So I best get used to heel pokes....

No comments:

Post a Comment