Saturday 21 May 2011

Mayday! Mayday! Hospital Internet is down!

The hospital network is down for the weekend, blackberry to the rescue!

Thursday:
 took some formula from the bottle at my 6pm feed, 25 mls. My parents stopped me as they didn't want to push me, however i could keep going because i loves it! The rest of my feed went through by pump.
8pm feeding and meds debaucle begins! The staff changeover time is at 7:30 and the nurses have to get vitals on each of their 4 patients before starting to take care of things like my foods and meds. It was 8:20 before my nurse, Donna got to my room with my formula and meds. She squirted my meds in the bag and tried to start the pump. Now since the Drs have me on bolis feeds the amount of formula that gets mixed with my meds is significantly less, the feed bag got clogged! I was screaming my head off as I was hungry! Finally she grabbed more formula and got that going at 9pm. Since my meds were wasted, they had to use my morning meds as the Pharmacy closes at 9pm and reopens at 8am. It was going to be close as my meds were scheduled again for 8am. They dumped my meds in more formula and had to re calculate my times, amounts and plan. There were no dr.s on staff, so I was lucky that my daddy is good with numbers and came up with a plan for me, that only had an extra 14mls going in to me. My nurse was really flustered, and didn't do my vitals, weight or bath. She remembered to do a glucose check on me and instead of using gauze to clot my wound she used an alcohol wipe instead! My level was 3.7, which is under my threshold so I need to be poked again, probably because I haven't eaten in 2.5 hours ... 30 minutes later I was down to 3.4, my sugar was plummeting my parents started freaking out. Nurse Donna tried paging Dr. Kozenko as Dr Potter was not on call until midnight. My parents ordered another sugar test 30 minutes later, sugar level was 4.2. Since everything was out of whack, mommy and daddy stayed by my side the whole night to make sure that the plan was followed. Daddy slept a little and mommy kept her steele eye look on Nurse Donna the whole night. We haven't seen Nurse Donna since....

Friday:
In the morning my meds were not up from pharmacy so I didn't get them until 10am. We decided to put them in syringes and shoot them through my feed tube while the formula is going through. Since my feedings got out of whack last night my parents didn't try bottle feeding me as the plan was supposed to be. Kate the OT came to see me for the bottle feed this morning. I coughed and she started getting red flags from this. She said to try again in the afternoon. She came by for my afternoon feed and put a halt to my bottle feeding as she noticed that this time I was holding the formula in my mouth then swallowing, she is concerned that I may asphyxiate myself, and has set up a 'swallow test' for Tuesday afternoon. This test requires me to sit in a chair surrounded by ultrasound equipment. They let me drink from a bottle that has formula and barium inside so they assess the swallowing to make sure there isn't a blockage and that the valves are working correctly.

Dr. Tarnapolski came by and requested mommy to have a blood test to see if she is copper deficient, meaning I wasn't getting enough copper in utero. He said it's a long shot but things are not making sense to him in my case. As some of you know Mommy has 'problem veins' and most of the time no blood comes out so she has developed a fear of blood clinics. However she said she'd be strong for me and went down to get it done.

I had some visitors today! Grandma Philp came to see me, and dropped off a small container of vegetables and dip as my mommy has been craving them. She also gave my mommy a nice necklace in the shape of a key that says 'mom' with diamonds. My mommy really loves it and will wear it all the time! Glenn and Joanne came by as well! They brought me a stuffed dog that looks like their dog Bonnie, I like her, she is nice and fluffy!


I was weighed tonight and I am still sitting at 3.15kgs . I also am patiently waiting for my bath.....

No comments:

Post a Comment