Thursday 12 May 2011

BIG trouble in little ward C

Ethan here,

Oh what a night.  I have another baby in my room named Adrian.  Unfortunately, Adrian is also not a happy camper between the hours of 1am and 4am.  I'm getting pretty good at sleeping through his screaming but my dad, who stays by my side at night, isn't.   

- Nurse Debbie is back with me again this morning.  We took a quick sugar sample at 8:30 and I was at 5.1 on the glucometer.  This was a good thing as overnight I had a drop to <3.8.  That number scared the doc a little bit and they put my Dextrose intake back up again.  I was down to 4ml every hour from 6ml earlier that day.  I'm cruising at 4.5ml now and we'll be revisiting this after the doctors do their rounds.

Nurse Debbie says I look a little puffy today.  As a result, they couldn't do a heel poke for my morning blood test.  Instead they went for A VEIN!!!  Mom doesn't like to watch this part.  Dad likes to be helpful but also doesn't like to hear me scream.  My veins generally do not cooperate with this type of testing.  As with past attempts, they tried my arms, they tried hands, they even talked about poking me in the head.

They will talk to the metabolic dietitian, Amy about my feeds as they changed my formula the other day and may be a contributor to my puffyness.  They will try to reduce my dextrose a little slower.  They were a little overzealous yesterday about my progress and may have went a little faster than what I could handle.
  
This morning my lactate level was up to 12.  The Dr.s are suggesting that the increase may be due to the nurses using a tourniquet on me.  I also had my glucose checked and it was less than 3.9 .  The Dr.s have decided to recheck it at 6pm tonight.  I was weighed this morning and have increased to 3.10kg.  However we are not sure how much of that is fluid and how much is me.

My Grandpa Reimer and Grandma Philp came by to visit me. My Grandma just gave me a stuffed monkey named Springalings!


I want to thank everyone for believing in me, it makes the days seem a bit brighter to know that I have love, prayers and support from my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment