Wednesday 29 June 2011

"When I think of you, I feel like smiling"

Upon discharge I have a few follow up appointments. Here's who is following me:
Metabolics: Dr. Kozenko
Neuromuscular: Dr. Tarnopolsky
Dietician: Amy Pender
Pediatrician: Dr. Rosner
Nurse: (CCAC) Michelle
Case Manager: (CCAC) Julia
Occupational therapist: (CCAC) Sheri?
Speech Therapist: (CCAC) oral motor skill

So you see, I have quite the crew!

Upon arriving home My mommy was supposed to make my formula from a recipe given by my Dietitian. I am on the powdered Similac Advance, however my concentration is higher than normal. I need more calories than the normal kid in order to grow. My mom measured out 670ml of water and 12 scoops and mixed it all together and fed me for the day. The next day my dad made note that the instructions were written as "measure 12 scoops and THEN add water to a FINAL volume of 670ml". Dad is making my formula from now on.

Some of you may be thinking, my dad isn't perfect either! He actually slept through my 1am feeding last Sunday morning! Most of you are aware that I eat 70ml over the hour and every 3 hours. This is done to treat me like a normal baby and also so my sugars do not tank.
So going without eating from 10pm to 330am was a big deal! How did I fare? Well I woke up crying for food and I was awake for hours after just playing. Meaning I can keep my sugars! To make up for the missed meal, I was stuffed with 80ml for my feeds the rest of the day. I tolerated the increased volume, and had no pukes or spit ups.

I feel yucky!

I spent the entire day over my Grandma's shoulder
















This past Friday I felt like hell! Since I've been home I have developed a cough, a throaty staticy sound accompanied with a motor like sound and tons of mucous! On friday I was so mucousy I almost choked myself to death on multiple occasions. The nurse came by and listened to my lungs, she said the sound is mostly in my nasal area but I did have some fluid in my right lung. The hope was that I would work it out on my own. Mommy was so scared that she said she'd take me to the hospital if I didn't sound better when Dad came home. I did and I got to avoid the hospital. The nurse came by monday and said that my lungs sounded better and that it was good I can clear it out on my own.

Which brings us to Tuesday! I was being a little fussy through my feedings over the last few days and this morning I was screaming and spitting up. Mom was concerned and asked Dad why I am so broken. Dad said that nothing is wrong with me, and I am just being a baby. After dad left for work I threw up my whole meal! Mom said that I must be constipated, so back on lactalose I go! Just before we left to go to my first pediatric appointment my mom remembered a little trick from a friend... Use the thermometer to stick up my bum to help me loosen what is stuck. So after 5 minutes of poking and probing I let a bunch of pooh go to my mom and grandma's excitement and astonishment. I am still backed up but at least a fare bit came out. Mommy gave me some Tylenol to try to ease my discomfort or put me to sleep... Didn't work. So off to my pediatric appointment!

My appointment was at the pediatric outpatient clinic at Grand River Hospital. My appointments will continue to be there as I need blood work every week. The blood tests I need are only done in hospitals! My mom and grandma packed my "duffle bag" and off we went!

At the hospital we ran into some old friends. Turns out that our McMaster neighbour's have the same pediatrician as me! We got reacquainted with Logan's parents, who happen to live a few streets away from us! We had to wait for the pediatrician as she was running a bit behind as she was also on call. So 3.5 hours later I had my vitals and blood results:
My lungs are clear and I am nasally, so the Dr. Has suggested Hydrosense, apparently a box with a dolphin on it.
Weight: 3.85 kg (8lbs 7oz)
Height: 22 inches
Ph: 7.278
Lac: 6.3
The blood nurse used a tourniquet on me which was against the doctor's orders, and as many of you know now, lactate has to be taken by "free-flowing blood" or else the result is inaccurately elevated. So in theory my actual lac level would be 3-4.

Mom has emailed Amy and Dr. Kozenko about my results and both are happy with my weight gain, Amy has since increased my feeds to 80ml. We just need to work out my poop first...

No comments:

Post a Comment