Wednesday 15 June 2011

The Puzzle goes on

As you can see the pokes didn't work in my head today so I got the arm treatment
My lactate is still up. The last blood work was 8.2. The Dr.s have no idea why the numbers are fluctuating when they haven't changed anything. I am so gaseous I hate feeding so I scream through the whole "meal". Venting was working but now it is not making me a happy camper, however its been helping in the puking department.
I am still stuck at 3.4kg, so my dietitian has upped my overnight feeds as they don't want to see me fall further behind. I am just barely on this infant growth cart at about 3 - 5%.

Still no tests have confirmed any diagnosis, however Dr. Kozenko believes the closest thing I may have is pyruvate carboxylase, but she says that she has no idea as nothing else other than my acidosis has been typical of it. However here is the definition.... Does it sound like me?  "PC deficiency results in malfunction of the citric acid cycle and of gluconeogenesis thereby depriving the body of energy. The citric acid cycle derives energy from carbohydrates, while gluconeogenesis produces carbohydrate fuel for the body when carbohydrate intake is low". If any one wants to know what gluconeogensis is, it's a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids. Also the primary lab Dr. Tarnopolsky had done with my muscle showed that I was 8 percent efficient in complex 4 mitochondria. This I am informed, is not good at all, this kind of result is of the fatal disorders kind. Both tests are off to be analyzed for some answers, we wait.

Dr. Kozenko told my mommy that she has also changed some procedures in their metabolic clinic because of me. I may save some lives yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment