Saturday 4 June 2011

Surgery/MRI

Hello everyone,

My apologies for not updating sooner, I was pretty groggy from my surgery and really angry that my tummy is empty and gurgling constantly.

The day of my surgery I was put on D10 solution through my broviac line.  It was a good thing that the dr.s left this open so I wouldn't have to be poked again. My sugars were being monitored every hour, as I do not show symptoms of low blood sugar when indeed they are low... I am tricky that way.  I started off the day getting glucoses in the 5s, then 6s then 7s.  Mommy was getting scared that I was going to go the opposite way of too low.... and going too high.  She was assured that even 7 was considered normal. 

Around 8:30am, Mamet, my resident told mommy that she was going to try again for the MRI.  Dr. Kozenko came by before my surgery and told us that she had talked to radiology and tried to make them understand the severity of my case.  She told them about my blood gases and sugar levels.  They need to do the MRI to see if there was any brain damage due to my low P.H level.  She explained to mommy that normal PH level is 7.35 and at my "dark day" I was at 7.03 .  She explained that once it goes to 6.80 the cells shut down and you die.  So I was REALLY acidic and on my way.  However I made the miraculous jump back up to normal in the morning. The Doctors are pushing for the MRI to see if I sustained any brain damage due to the low PH level.
As I was being wheeled to surgery for my Gtube, mommy was told that I will be getting the MRI right after my surgery, so I will still be sedated. Mommy and I were grateful that all the right people came together and made this happen for us SOMEHOW! This NEVER happens! :)


The surgery and the MRI procedure went without hiccups and I was in the recovery room by 2:30pm.  Mommy was told that my MRI results would be read that day and sent to my Doctor the next day, as I was so ill, I was considered a priority reading.

Mommy came to meet me in the recovery room
I was groggy for the rest of the day, so I slept, which meant I was awake the whole night, and kept mommy awake too, as I was starting to feel my tummy grumble from being empty for so long.  I was up the entire day today too, and I was NOT a happy camper!  My tummy is soooo empty and mommy keeps telling me that she can hear it gurgle every 5 minutes! 

Dr. Kozenko and Amy came to see my mommy and me this afternoon to share the MRI results and the plan to reintroduce me to my feeds.
The MRI did not show any damages or abnormalities!  However it did show a high lactic level in the cells.  The MRI confirmed that I do have a metabolic issue, but my brain structure is normal!

The plan for my feeds is at 1:00 I was put on 5mls/hr of pedialite which I am told is like gatorade just yuckier.  At 7pm I started 5mls/hr of my formula and every 4 hours my feed volume will be increased by 5mls.  The goal is to have me back on bolus feeds every 3 hours on Sunday.  Which will bring me up to where I was before my surgery.  My meds were also reintroduced at 4:00pm.... I am tolerating my meds and feeds very well so far.  I am still really angry about my grumbling tummy and I am making sure that everyone knows it...

Mommy has called Daddy to come this weekend so she can go home and get some sleep and some quality time at the hairdressers.  Maybe if she's lucky I will post a picture of her when she comes back to me on Sunday!

Finally awake after my anaesthesia
Introducing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment