Friday 17 June 2011

"She blinded me with Science"

My bloodwork on Wednesday:
Lactate: 6.7
Glucose: 4.8
pH: 7.47

Dr. Kozenko is stopping my daily blood work as there seems to be no correlation with anything.  She says that my lactate will just be what it is, and that the glucose and pH levels are what matters most as they can kill if they get too low.  Usually a high lactate means a low pH (acidic) however my pH has been consistently normal even though my lactate has fluctuated from 2 to10 in the last few weeks in Ward C.

Dr. Tarnopolsky came by today and told us that he has "good news and bad news". Please don't use the word bad news in a hospital!  The good news is that my serf test came back negative. This we were told is a very good thing as this has a 100% result in death!  The bad news is that we still don't know what I have.  His clinic will run testing on the parts of the mitochondria that they can do locally.  Starting 3 weeks from now, new technology is emerging that allows for studies to be conducted on the remaining 80% of the mitochondria that was not able to be tested before.  Dr. Tarnopolsky doesn't think I'll come back with anything that they already have a name for, so it is good that this new technology has come for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment