Wednesday 1 June 2011

Daddy's gone!

So lots and little has happened over the past few days.

1. Daddy had to leave us and go back to work. It made my mommy and me sad, but we understand that it had to be done, but we misses him.

2. Dr. Kozenko has taken over as my metabolic doctor on call. Dr. Potter finished his on call duties over the weekend.

3. My sugars have been consistent (over 4 and during the day 5). Mommy still has to continuously train my nurses on how to get a proper reading.

4. I am doing great with my feeds, however I think I am feeling this thing called "hunger" and its making me unhappy. Mommy mentioned to up the calories in the formula and not give me more volume because she knew I'd puke because I had an extra 6 mls on top of my meds.. So of course the pediatrician wrote orders to up my feed volume by 5 mls to 65 mls... And I puked.. So now I am back down to my feed volume of 60mls.

5. My weight is now 3.25kg.... Which is 7 lbs! Amy was happy, however she wants to see more weight gain over the next few days.

6. My surgery is being booked for a "peg tube". This means my feed/med tube will be attached to my belly and not my face.
- I won't pull the NG tube out of my nose.. halting my ability to feed.. Which causes my sugars to tank and my acid to go up.. While we will need to rush to the ER to get another NG tube.. With the peg tube mommy and daddy can replace if it ever pops out
- its a bigger circumference tube, so my meds shouldn't clog it... Which happens frequently with the NG tube. Like last night my mommy clogged it and I needed a new one stuffed in my nose.
Mommy and I are a bit scared for surgery as I will need an anesthesiologist and I will be off of feeds for a few days.. We have been reassured by my dietitian Amy that my sugars will hold up.

7. Dr. Kozenko also mentioned doing an MRI if we go in for surgery for the peg tube. Mommy and Daddy agreed to this, however only if it's done at the same time, so I won't have to be put under twice. We are told by the doctors that for both at the same time would be a long shot.... We are hoping that it works out for both slots and we may be able to get some kind of prognosis with the MRI.

8. We love Jen! Jen is one of Emerson's mom's friends. She surprised us with a scrapbook of my hospital stay! She printed off my journal/photos/guestbook from Caring Bridge and facebook and put together an awesome scrapbook! We are eternally grateful for the love and support this has shown us!

9. Please also send your prayers, love and support to my buddy Emerson. He has some tests left to do and so far he is still without answers.

10. Deb, the team leader on Ward C is REALLY into scrapbooking. She made Emer and I cutout boy shapes in the form of us! We have put these outside our door in the hallway leading into our room. Since we got ours, little cardboard children have started to sprout everywhere. Unfortunately only to the ones who have been or will be in the ward for a long time. *sigh*
As you can see, my little person has no hair... there isn't any "white blonde" paper

No comments:

Post a Comment