Thursday 23 June 2011

Broviac begone!

Well, I don't know how I survived the night with my belly so empty, but somehow I did!

Jackie came by this morning to be with my mom during my surgery. As you guys know it's a big deal for me when I need to be off my feeds. My sugars may tank and bang ACIDODIC boy!

I was wheeled down the hall to the waiting area where my surgery was to be conducted. We waited there for what seemed to be years. We waited and waited and waited. The reception ladies thought I was soooo cute! They said I must receive a cute bunny for my enduring strength! Booya I scored a stuffie. I call him "Broviac Bunny".






After what seemed like more years my name was finally called and the anesthesiologist came out to get me. Wow! She was the same lady who was with the doctor who did my PEGasaurous. Mommy said she took great care of me last time, so she knew I would be in good hands. Mommy kissed me and said she wouldn't be too far away and would be back before I opened my eyes.

Jackie and Mommy waited in the Ronald McDonald Family room across the hall. We had been to that room so many times for breakfast and to do our laundry and we never knew there were surgeries being conducted across the hall! If we did, breakfasted may not have felt the same.

The anesthesiologist told Jackie and Mommy that I was in recovery. She also informed us that she tried to put an IV in me for my dextrose solution, but my veins kept collapsing, so I went through the entire procedure without an IV . The anesthesiologist hoped that everything would be okay with me and I wouldn't need any more surgeries as my veins are extremely difficult to work with! Yikes!

Mommy was a little worried as I had never been off my sugar for this long before, but right now we couldn't do anything about it. We just had to put our energy into waking me up! 30 minutes went by and I still wasn't awake. The nurse who was monitoring me tried to stay calm but mommy could tell she was getting a little concerned. The nurse, mommy and Jackie tried talking to me, tickling me, pet me, and shook my arms. Finally I stirred! I had to make it a bit difficult for mommy I guess!

I was wheeled back to my room, and food was started about 30 minutes later. My sugars had stayed constant. Yay!

The morning after Broviac begone!
I was groggy for most of the day because of the anesthesia, so I slept most of the day. Hello night! Time to play!


No comments:

Post a Comment