Friday 24 June 2011

Jailbreak!

FREEDOM...

Tuesday after my Broviac tube was removed and I was swiftly moving through the recovery process, the doctor's came by to see how I was doing.  After some discussion on my progress, my mom inquired about the plans for discharge.  "What do you think about tomorrow?" the doctor asked.  Mom was astounded, relieved, happy, frightened, and all around overwhelmed at the prospect!  Home, I mean, a real home!  Not just 4 walls, and certainly no hospital curtains!  Could it be?

Yes it was!  The orders were written for a 9am discharge on Wednesday morning.  Now since there was little notice, it was crunch time to make sure we had everything together and ready to go.   Mom called up dad and told him the great news.  Dad had already made arrangements to come down the day of my release and finally it had come.  Mom slept at my hospital side one last time and we waited anxiously till morning.

Morning came and dad arrived at 7:30am! We started packing up all the clothes, stuffed animals, papers, and baby supplies we had amassed during our stay and proceeded to send them down to the car.  Meanwhile we were given the prescriptions for all my regular meds and were told to drop it off at the pharmacy downstairs as soon as the openned.  As nine o'clock ticked past, mom walked down to put in the order.  The pharmacy was SHOCKED... the prescriptions were written for one month doses at a time.  "This may take some time, check back with us around noon", said the pharmacist. 

Back in the room, we were getting ready to start the 10am feed.   Mom and dad opted to use my feed pump one more time so they could both keep their hands busy elsewhere.  Doctors came in to visit and give us more information on the discharge arrangements.  Dr. Kozenko came in to give us the emergency letter should we need to skip the triage line at Grand River or St. Mary's hospitals.  Amy provided us with the new formula to mix up using regular old Similac advance from the store.  Our nurse provided us with a care package of syringes and buckets to make my med and feed planning easier at home.

All the pieces were falling into place.  After my ten o'clock feed was done, dad and I decided to go for a walk to see and say goodbye to some old friends around the ward and around the hospital.  We stopped to see all the nurses we knew which was great.  They were all so impressed that I was going to go home!  We then made the grand trek across the hospital to see Dr. Kozenko in her office.  As always she was sooo happy to see me alive, awake, and well.  She spoke to dad for awhile about what to do at home.  Most important was to make sure I get treated like a normal little baby boy.  As we were about to leave, dad asked her if she wanted to hold me.  She hadn't done so in all the time we were here at the hospital.  She said of course, and for the first time, the hands that started my miraculous recovery, were able to feel and hold me tight.  She returned me to dad and we said our goodbyes.  Dad gave her a big hug and thanked he again for everything.  Back to the room we went. 

It was nearing noon and we went to check on the pharmacist.  She had completed nearly the whole order so it wouldn't be long now until we were making out great escape!  We finished piecing all our belongings together and we waited for the day's feed to come up from the kitchen.  While we waited we received some interesting news via mom's blackberry.

As it happens, our old friend Emerson, had to come to the hospital for a follow up with Dr. Potter.  Emerson stopped in to see me before his appointment and oh what a reunion it was.  The Rutledge family and the Reimer family once again in the same hospital room.  And this time we were able to leave it together!  We gathered everything up and walked out of the ward.  The 100 foot walk to the door seemed the longest distance I had ever traveled as it wasn't just any walk off the ward.  It was a walk away from a journey.  A journey, as long as any I will probably ever experience.   A journey with such ups and downs that no other will ever compare.  A journey filled with incredible moments both light and dark.  A journey we took together.

As we piled into the car, the reality of the day began to settle in.  We were on our way home.  Mom drove out of the parking garage and dad sat with me in the back.  One life being left behind, another just beginning.  All my love to everyone who has prayed, hoped, and wished for this day. 

On our way out we stopped for nurse cuddles!

No comments:

Post a Comment