Monday 13 June 2011

The missing weekend update

Hi all!

Ethan here.  I can't believe I forgot to post on the weekend.  After I promised to do so on Friday. 

As many of you have come to know, not much change happens on the weekends.  In general, it's simply a time to relax and progress while maintaining the status quo.  This weekend was no different... until my dad got in there and messed with things again.

The plan was for me to eat at a a different rate for the weekend.  I was doing 55ml in one hour and fasting for two all day.  Then, starting at midnight I was going to do 30 ml per hour every hour to make up for an overall shortfall of calories over a 24 hour period. 

For those of you who have now grabbed out your abacus to follow along, here's my calculation:

I should be getting 65ml every three hours.

65 x 8 feeds = 520ml per day

I was getting 55 from 10am to midnight (5 feeds) and 30ml every hour from midnight to 8am then a two hour fast.

55 x 5 feeds = 275
30 x 8 = 240
275 + 240 = 515 <--- close enough to 520 :)

So here's where the wheels fall off the wagon.  I was having "trouble" tolerating 65mls in one hour.  But in between I was given time to digest and clear my tummy.  So in a three hour span I was getting 65ml and moving it through the old digestion track.  Now over night I will get 90ml in a three hour span.  90ml > 65ml, therefore my forecast is over-full tummy with a chance of puke.... I hate being right.

Through the night I puked at 2am and 7am.  In the morning, Dr. Kozenko called to talk to daddy and they discussed my tolerance and how to proceed.  Dad pushed to resume a more normal feed schedule but couldn't convince everyone that this was the right course of action.  We did modify things so I was only on 25ml per hour overnight which I tolerated much better. 

Dad also made a point to vent me regularly, it's like burping but without all the satisfying sounds.  This worked to keep me happy and puke free during the day. 

ahhh relief!
On Sunday Grandpa came to visit and brought cousins Jim and Peggy from Calgary to see me!  I slept for most of the visit but it was nice to see some new faces.  They also dropped off some sweet new toys for me to continue to show off to the other inmates... i mean patients.

Well back to the grind.  Everyone keep thinking positive thoughts of home!

No comments:

Post a Comment