Thursday 21 July 2011

Introducing Sheryl: My Occupational Therapist

My OT, Sheryl, came to assess me for the first time!  Mommy was worried as she was coming by right at 1:15 and I start my feeding at 1.... However, she was smart and gave me about 30mls before my appointment so I wouldn't be upset or puke.  Also I had been awake for some time playing before my new friend came to see me, so mommy and grandma were worried that I would be too sleepy or even asleep when she came by.

I was starting to get a little cranky before Sheryl showed up, however I was attentive when Sheryl started talking to me... Of course she told me how cute I was before diving into my exercises... which helps me to show off my stuff!

She put me on my play mat and watched me for awhile.  At the beginning all I wanted to do was talk... she is a new friend and I have lots of stories to tell her first!  She assessed my arms, head control, and legs, she rolled me onto my tummy and I had to show her that I was a good boy, and didn't complain!  She told Mommy and Grandma what exercises to do with me to strengthen my arms and neck. 

She says I have a bit of low tone in my upper body.  She says that strength starts from the head down, so once I get better head control, my arms and fine motor skills will follow.

She said that I am a social beast (as I wouldn't stop talking, smiling and laughing).  I wouldn't let mommy talk to Sheryl as I had many things I wanted to say and wanted the attention to be on me again! Sheryl said that I am excellent at tracking, focusing and observing.

45 minutes later Sheryl scheduled her next play visit with me (August 9th) and went on her way, I fell asleep as soon as I heard the door shut!

No comments:

Post a Comment