Thursday 28 July 2011

Ethan Clinic #2

Hi all,

On the way to MAC

Ethan again.  Tuesday's trip to Mac was fantastic!  My mom and grandma Philp took me down to see Dr. K and Amy.  I had practiced all my special assignments, and this time we were going to make them proud! 

When we arrived we asked about the results of my skin tests.  Nothing in just yet.  Mariya's take on me is I am stabilizing because I am eating so many calories and my current diagnosis remains as "primary lactic acidosis" until a real result comes in.

Then my assessment began... My performance was great!
Mariya asked me if I knew my mommy.  I didn't answer but instead I looked at mommy who was walking around the room behind her and this was answer enough for the doc.  Mariya then took off her glasses as she thought they scared me.  Her and I then had a nice chat and I smiled tons!  Amy said "He's going to be a lady killer!" Mariya "I already love him!"  After we chatted, Mariya complemented me on my improved head control and mobility in my arms, she liked that I was tracking better from side to side and top to bottom.  This trip made her much happier as I was doing significantly better than my previous visit, complements to my personal trainers mommy and grandma Philp!  As my assessment came to a close, Mariya said "You better take him away because I will kiss him all over!"


Next we took down my growth stats.  My weight is now 11lbs 2oz... Wait.. What's that?   Mariya, who had just sat down nearly killed herself springing back up from her chair with joy.  I, Ethan Reimer, have registered above the 5th percentile on the infant growth chart.  This little fighter who couldn't make it past 3.05kg while in the hospital was a big boy now!  My length is now just shy of 23 inches. 

With a general happiness floating through the room, the talk turned to my homework for the month.  I'm supposed to keep working on my arms and continue to eat as much as I can.  Eating lots will allow my brain to grow big and strong as so much of my learning happens before I turn 1 year old! 

Next up, my legs.  Mariya said to me "What should I tell your mom to do with your legs?" Mommy asked, "What's wrong with his legs?".  Mariya replied, "nothing, but next month's the legs and feet... Put formula on his feet and bring them to his mouth".  What? Pardon?  First, that sounds kind of gross.  Second, those of you who know my mommy well know she has a fear of feet.  She looked at Mariya in HORROR!  She explained "but... I have a fear of feet."  Mariya asked why?  Mommy told her "they look at me in a creepy way!"  This may be more daddy's and grandma's job in the weeks to come.

Mommy mentioned that I already have a lot of leg movement and usually go crazy with my legs, I just wasn't bringing my "A" game today.  Mariya said "He will be a dancer!" and mommy said, "yeah, probably a river dancer!"

The Plan:
Mommy asked if I can be changed to every 4 hour feedings. Mariya said "Yes, you wouldn't be asking me if you didn't think Ethan could".  As such, we have changed to 6 feeds from 8 and now have more time between eats to play, live, learn, and go on outings in the real world.  Grandma asked about my blood work and if Mariya was thinking to change it to every couple of weeks.. Mariya did one better and said "I was thinking once a month" providing I was still good this week.  Once a month?  That's awesome!

I have my next clinic in September, sounds like lots of time to brush up on my skills and really show off my stuff when I see them next! Mariya is pressuring for a follow up swallowing study for me so I can start eating through mouth.  Oh the thought!

On to Wednesday, another trip to Grand River for blood work.  One of my regular nurses, Laurie, is on vacation this week! So my other nurse, Patty had to do the blood work.  She asked mommy if a photographer can take pictures of me and use it for hospital brochures and
the website, because I am so cute!  I was excited- I'm going to be famous!  What we didn't know is they meant taking pictures of me getting my head pokes done! Not my best look.  I was crying and generally looking unhappy.  The nurse gave a posed smile to the camera as to indicate that this poking business was supposed to be fun!  Not sure I agree.  Anyway, look for me in the next GRH brochures and website!

after 2 head pokes and an arm vein ... my results:

pH: 7.27
Bicarb: 23
Lac: 2.9

Not too shabby!  With number like that, I bet I'm not doing blood nearly as often now!  Looking forward to some extra time with my Dad next week as he is going on vacation from the office!

After bloodwork Mommy made a stop at the grocery store to start my modelling career  

No comments:

Post a Comment