Thursday 14 July 2011

Grand River Hospital a.k.a. the torture chamber

Hi all,

Ethan here.  Lots has happened since last we spoke.  So let's get right down to it!

I was supposed to have a play date with Emerson and on Friday night.  But that little bum got himself a cold and couldn't come.  As a substitute, aunt Christiane and uncle Andrew came in his stead and brought presents.  They dropped off a bassinet and lots o' clothes.  Mom and dad gave them a tour of our home and Christiane held me for most of their visit!

One sleep later, and we're on to the weekend!  This weekend was particularly important as I grew out of my pampers newborns and now I wear size 1!  For those not in the know, the weight range for #1 is 8 to 14lbs.  In addition to new diapers, I was invited to my first barbecue at Grandpa and Wayne's house.  Also in attendance were Grandma and Grandpa Philp.  The event spanned two feeds, a first for me!

As the weekend came to a close, one more big event.  My dad rigged my crib up to incline 35 degrees (using a couch cushion) so I can sleep there overnight without worrying about my acid reflux problems.  This means I no longer sleep in my parent's bed.  I HAVE MY OWN ROOM NOW!

... Enter bloodwork attempt number one (Tuesday)

I was scheduled to see my pediatrician today for an updated weight, vitals and bloodwork.  The pediatrician came in to see me and said my vitals were good.  My weight was taken and I was 9lbs 12ounces.  If you recall, just last week I was 9lbs 1 ounce and thus have gained 11 ounces! 

BlooDwOrk.....!.!.!

The nurse came to try to get blood which resulted in 3 head pokes, a STAB in the foot and a STAB in the arm both with no tourniquet.  Thos of you with intimate knowledge of veins, this is hard to do on an adult, and IMPOSSIBLE on infants.
Result: no blood. 
Result: I cried for over an hour during and after the event.
Result: Grandma Philp watched it all and almost fainted.  Mom was crying and yelled "NO MORE!  The results will be tainted!"  and it was decided that I would come back again the next day.
Result: I cried so long that with my swallowing issues I was gurgling and breathing like a bad FM radio station.  Mom thought I might have aspirated and asked that the on call pediatrician come assess me.  During this fiasco, I was supposed to be assessed at home by the local OT but as I had recently undergone a rigorous round of torture, this was not going to fly.  The assessment will be rescheduled.  The on call pediatrician came in and said I sounded clear and didn't want to submit me to further radiation from an X-ray.  He was very interested in my case as he is a hematologist. 

Bloodwork attempt number two (Wednesday)

So I was scheduled to return to the hospital for another try at the old vein poking.  The nurse suggested that in preparation for my visit, I adorn a toque to warm up the old noggin and get the blood flowing.  As many of you know, I am already a sweat monster and the addition of a winter hat only accentuated the beastliness.  However, one successful head poke later I had filled two vials and I was done!

Result:
Ph:       7.45
Bi-carb  23
Lactate  3.1

Booyeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment