Wednesday 30 May 2012

Strange Things are Afoot at Kidsability

Today was my first appointment at Kidsability in over a month. Unfortunately mommy got sidetracked with my therapy and forgot to take pictures.

Mommy updated Pam and Lori on my progression, they commented on how good I looked and that I looked much older! I think they are trying to get in my good graces before they torture me!

Lori was ecstatic that I am pointing! This apparently was going to be Mommy's homework! But I am already doing it! She was even more impressed that my first dabble in pointing was my mommy's "O" in her "Arizona" shirt and not a hole! Yay for being smart! She had me play with a basket of plastic fruit and did some high reaching with me. She said she didn't notice any shoulder hiking this week. Another win! She says she doesn't have any concerns with my fine motor skills and will continue to monitor me once a month still.

After playing, it was Pam's turn. She said that I got the cross-legged position down pat, and now it's time for me to move on already! She said it's funny because they usually spend so much time with other children trying to get them in this position and they are trying to get me out of it! That means lots of side sitting...... Oh brother!

She tried to get me into side sitting position to play with the pop up animals. However, I am too quick and would shoot my legs out! She can't fool me! Pam finally got me in a leg lock on my hands and knees where I was forced to play. After I did some standing at the learning table... my feet were turned out, so Pam corrected them and I just lost it! I started protesting, until they grabbed a slinky and distracted me. We moved on to mauling mommy. Apparently this is our homework, mommy isn't too happy about this but now I have proof that I am allowed to do it! I am supposed to grab her and go into side sitting to kneeling to standing. I can't wait!

Next it was the stairs... Pam was behind helping me and Mommy was at the top and was calling me to come to her. Can't she see that it's difficult! I am trying but my body just won't let me! I finally got to the top, and Pam let me look out the window at all the buses that were going by. I didn't do much here, so Pam tried to slide me down the ramp.. Oh I hate this feeling! I screamed and protested! I don't want to be here anymore! Take me home! Then it was time to go up! Sorry, I don't understand... You want me to get on my hands and knees and move them simultaneously in a forward propelling motion?!

This took 3 people. Pam was behind me supporting my knees, Lori had her hands behind my arms and mommy was doing her calling to me thing at the top of the ramp. OMG this is scary! I somehow made it up to the top, gave mommy hugs and then I was propelled down the ramp to do it all over again... Three times! At least with the ramp gravity isn't totally against me!

Mommy was given my homework for the next few weeks. (High reaching, ramp crawling, mommy mauling, sit to stands on my stool, side sit playing) I am getting exhausted just thinking about all those things!

Then the bad news came! Pam told us that Kidsability has had to do layoffs, and as she is on the bottom of the list in seniority, she's getting laid off at the end of June. 

There are only 2 physios at the Kitchener location and both Pam and the other lady are only part time!  So that leaves 1 physiotherapist! AND part time!... something doesn't seem right!

They don't know how everything is going to work just yet, but it's likely that I won't be getting physio over the summer while they are trying to work all of Pam's kids into slots.

Sucks! I really like Pam! Pam said that it's happened twice before to her and she got called back within a few months. Unfortunately money from the government stays the same but expenses go up. All the contract people are gone and a few of the therapist who were at the bottom of senority. She said sometimes they get a large donation and then they get called back until the money runs out again. It's incredibly sad as the wait list for kids to get into therapy is long and then having to get rid of therapists, holy smokes! Sad sad day! I have 2 more sessions with Pam until she is gone :(


No comments:

Post a Comment