Saturday 26 May 2012

It's my Party and I'll........

Happy Birthday to me!

In case you didn't have it marked on your calendars, I turned one on April 23rd, 2012.  Since that was a Monday, and in the height of tax season (a time during which I become the child of a single parent), my party was deferred until Saturday May 12th.  But oh what a party it was.

My mommy spent hours planning and toiling over what to do, how to decorate, what to get for food, where to hold it?  She's a super planner!  We ended up holding it at the Zehrs grocery store near our house in the upstairs community room.  Mommy said it was better to do it there since there was more room to move around and socialize.  The only catch was we had to buy all the food we used from Zehrs.  Guess they gotta make some money somehow :)

My twin Oso cakes
In preparation for the grand event, mommy wanted me to have a surprise cake just for me.  Not just any cake though, this was going to be a 3D, stand-up, Special Agent Oso Cake!  If you don't know who I'm talking about, he's the unique stuffed bear appearing on the Disney Jr. Channel who helps kids solve problems.  Anyway, she found a special bear tin and contracted daddy to do the icing! After 5 hours of hard work, they made two sweet Special Agent Oso bear cakes for the party.  While daddy was busy icing, mommy plugged away making dozens of cupcakes of different colours and flavors.  They worked well past midnight to get it all ready for my party!

As party-time approached, mommy and Grandma Philp started loading the car with food, decorations, photos, drinks, and posters we had printed.  Meanwhile, daddy was compiling music to listen to and accumulating all the digital photos we had of me onto his laptop to setup and display for all to see.  Mommy left to start setting up and I stayed home with Daddy.  Uncle Jan and uncle Jay showed up at our house to help daddy with the last few items and we were on our way to the party too.

We arrived just before our guests were slated to show when we realized that daddy left my feeding chair and diaper bag at home!?! OOPS...

Another trip and a few more minutes passed and daddy returned with all my gear.  The party began!

Lots of family and friends came out to wish me well.  I was passed around for plenty of photo ops got to show off my bum scooting abilities to lots of folks who hadn't seen me in awhile.  Everyone ate lots of food and I even sat nicely to take a sippy, despite all the activity happening around me!  I didn't get a lot of sleep before the party so for awhile there it was looking like my batteries were going to give out, but just THEN... I saw them... my OSO cakes!  They were AWESOME!  I was rejuvenated.

Everyone gathered round my cakes (which now also included a full size slab cake with my name on it) and sang me a nice group rendition of "happy birth".  Camera flashes were twinkling around me and smiles were lighting the scene when without warning, daddy grabbed my hand and shoved it in the cake!!!  "Woah! back off mister... you have your own paws to mess with."  I stopped, what to do.. make a fuss?  laugh it off? I chose the high road and played it cool, "oh daddy, you're such a card.  Just wait till you try to pick me up!"  I played with my cake and spread the mess all over the table.  It was fun and messy!

As the party died down, we sat around the table with a few of mommy's friends from work chatting while Grandma Reimer and Uncle John helped clean up the left-overs and pack up my presents.  We packed the car full of food a gifts and de-partied (haha, see what I did there?)

A huge thanks to those who could attend and for all the wonderful gifts! It was a real pleasure to see you all.

Until next time!

















No comments:

Post a Comment