Wednesday 7 September 2011

Kidsability

My new hat and boots from Grandma,Uncle Brian and Paige
Mommy, Grandma and I packed ourselves in the car for another clinic assessment.  This time it was by the team at Kidsability.  Mommy used to do a lot of printing for Kidsability and was excited to see the new facility that just opened in Kitchener.

We were greeted by Kayla the social worker that has been appointed to my case.  She took us to a small room which had one big gym mat!  I was a little overwhelmed as mommy put me down to "play".  I had new surroundings and toys to look at and there were 3 new people.  The PT, Pam, the OT Lori and Kayla.  I was so disoriented that I started crying until Mommy picked me up and put me on her lap so I could look at each person individually to size them up and try to figure out what they were all doing staring at me.  Mommy and Grandma continued to answer their questions about my lengthy history and what I have been doing with my other therapists.  The therapists continuously made the comment on how alert, observant and perceptive I am.  Pam pointed out that my head is a very nice shape!  I was put down on the mat again were Pam and Lori played with me, rattles were placed in my hands and this strange long tube was making noise, after a bit I started to get a little agitated!  Then I was placed on my tummy and that was it!  I screamed and screamed and screamed.  Mommy was heating up my food so Grandma tried to calm me down, but I was having nothing of it.  I screamed and screamed, my face was turning red and I wouldn't stop.  I was passed to Mommy who quickly excused us and walked down the hall singing Katy Perry, I immediately calmed down... I just wanted to hear California Girls.

After I had calmed down I was placed in a yellow bumbo seat and the therapists continued with their assessment. 
Pam mentioned that my motor skills were consistent with a 2 month  old (which we knew already with Dave's assessment of the 10-25th percentile from Infant Development).  However, she couldn't get over how observant and alert I am.  Lori agreed with mommy and grandma saying my arms are weak but once someone places my arm my hands and fingers are actually quite good.
Pam also said that I would likely be the kid that plans strategically on how I am going to do things, she said that this will be a good thing as it will help me when trying to learn gross motor skills.

I freaked after a while sitting in the Bumbo and mommy grabbed me and rocked me to sleep while feeding me.  The conversation continued.  I will be placed near the top of the waiting list as "high priority" and my mommy will be called with an estimation of the time it will take to get me in to the facility.  Grandma wants to take me to the swimming pool that is in the Waterloo facility, however they were unsure if we can use the facilities there. 

In other news:
- Mommy got a quotation for my syringes $2500 a month!  I will need to get a full time job just to pay for them!  Looks like we will need to continue to wash and reuse them, however we can get it down to $1250 a month by reusing them. Ahhh syringes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment