Saturday 24 September 2011

Blood Work

I had been puking since last Sunday, but hadn't been showing any other symptoms. So mommy called my pediatrician on Wednesday. The Dr. told her to take me to the hospital outpatient clinic where an on-call pediatrician would see me. So along with grandma we packed up and headed out.

Surprise, surprise! Blood work had been ordered! 3 nurses and 40 minutes later I was screaming my head off, turning red and sweaty, and I was trying to get mommy to save me, but nothing I did could make her. The nurses got nothing. I was finally picked up and given to mommy so I could calm down, I was trying but they kept checking my head for veins. They then tried looking for veins in my arms and foot, I had 3 tourniquets on me and 3 heating pads, all the while I just kept screaming I was so scared! They called an IV nurse who apparently is "really good", however she's the one who stabbed me multiple times before and didn't get anything but me screaming bloody murder.

She used the touniquet on my arms and legs, at this point I was beside myself with fear, my arms and legs were bruised and purple, and my head hurt. Suddenly I heard "Can I just take him home!" My mommy. The IV nurse looked at her and said "So you're refusing then!?" and mommy looked at her and said "I guess I am." The IV nurse got in such a huff and yelled at the other nurse "So I can leave then!" and then had some choice words outside with the nurse about my mommy. I don't care what they said, I just get to get away from this massacre.

The on-call pediatrician came in and said "I hear that you want to leave". Mommy explained that since I've been screaming for 50 minutes and not calming down the results will be elevated anyway, and won't determine if they are high because I am sick or because I am worked up, and that we will try again tomorrow. He said "I guess you're not too concerned about him then." I looked at mommy and could see the rage in her eyes, this man is lucky he was scrunched as far away from us as possible in the room, or he would have been put through the wall. He then tried to crack my undiagnosed case, by asking if my parents were healthy? were they related? Oh yes doctor... I think you got it! Sorry I get my sarcasm from mommy... Of course they are not related and the answer hasn't changed from the first million times they have been asked.


Enter Friday..... (my 5 month birthday)
My head pokes!
2 pokes later, although they both fell out causing my blood to spurt everywhere, they had enough for my lactate, but not enough for the blood gases, but ran them anyway

pH: 7.52                 
bicarb: 19
(These results don't make sense)

Lac: 1.8 (my best since I've been home!)

Mommy used some of her fantastic powers of deduction and came to the conclusion that I am puking due to my omeprozole suspension. Turns out the pharmacy used generic tablets instead of my regular capsules.. Since she got them to make it again on Thursday I haven't puked! Here's hoping that that was the cause!

Mariya informed mommy that the lab is redoing my skin test. Who knows how long this will take. Mariya said that it's been difficult to get the results from them... meaning they will tell her nothing.

I think the results are:
1) something they haven't found before
 or
2) Serious
or
3) both

However I seem to be doing well considering my history. We're hoping they have some sort of explanation soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment