Sunday 22 July 2012

Day Care = Torture Chamber?

A few weeks ago I, Ethan's mommy was offered a job. It just happened to be the same day the second daycare called and asked if we still needed a spot. And that's where Ethan's new adventure began!

 A few Friday's ago Mommy and Daddy took me on a tour of this place called Day Care. They told me that I would be shipped here three times a week. I didn't know what it was supposed to be, but it looked like it moonlights as a torture chamber. I could tell mommy was unsure of this place. It looked a wee bit intimidating!

My cellmates are 18m-3 years. However most of them are on the upper scale as not many new toddlers get placed. If you've done your math, you will say "Hang on a moment! Ethan is 15 months!" So, not only am I starting 3 months early, I am also delayed in my gross motor skills by about 4 months.

When we went on our tour I saw things that I forever want to unsee! My cellmates are monsterous! They were all running around with a full set of sharp teeth, yelling in some foreign language that only they can understand. If it wasn't for the over taking fear of these cellmates I would have been more scared for seeing what was outside. A giant concrete slab! I can just feel the concrete rip my bum and feet while I bum scoot during the 1 HOUR we have to be outside. ME Ethan... OUTSIDE... The outside, where there is sun, heat, concrete, grass... everything that I hate in this world! That's what I thought, until we had a tour of "the kitchen". This is were the cellmates go to eat. THIS is where the torture happens... I just know it.

In this "kitchen" the monsters eat around a table on CHAIRS! Mommy asked if they had highchairs and the lady just started at her like mommy had just said a bad word.... YIKES! I guess not.
I was shown the food menu.  Cesar salad, Felafel, pasta salad, Ham, RAW vegetables... What are these people cannibals! RAW vegetables... seriously! Even if I do decide by some complete wave of insanity put these things in my mouth, how am I supposed to chew these things with 5 teeth?

And then that was that. Mommy made arrangements for my Grandma to look after me the other 2 days. And with the understanding that if I regressed by ANY measure, Mommy agreed to try me out at this place.
Mommy ordered me a school backpack

I started last Monday.
Ethan and Mommy's first day of Daycare and Work
























Mommy has been training all week so she has been unable to drop me off or pick me up at daycare, my care has been left with Daddy. Daddy really had to step up to the plate this week! He's had to get me ready each morning and pick me up in the evening. We've been lucky that this daycare lets me stay til 6pm! I bring my own snacks and sippys each day.. as you know I have a hate on with food.

So far Daddy has been informed that I have been transitioning well. However, no one has asked me so I don't know how I feel about it all yet! So far the only hard transition has been napping. The naps happen on COTS! Yes, COTS! No cribs.... I have been doing my best, however so far the days at daycare I've only been able to sleep for an hour. You would think that by the time I get home that I would be exhausted, but NOPE I am so excited to share with Mommy and Daddy about daycare that I end up wired! I just wait for the next day when it's Grandma time and I catch up on my sleep!

 In addition to my new Day Care adventures. I learned my first "sign" last Tuesday.  If you remember way back when when mommy was trying to teach me the sign for "more" and "book", then she gave up doing it all the time because I just didn't seem to get it. Well I now sign "more". Well, close enough. I tap my palm for more!


What else... Mommy had been teaching me how to climb up the stairs. So now I can do it, with help of course, I'm not that strong yet in my legs to push myself up yet. But once my legs get stronger I have the basics to climb right up the stairs!

The last bit of information is that I was weighed at the clinic on Friday. Daddy and I went to see my dietician, Lynn at the hospital. I was weighed in at 20lbs 8oz. Which is a 2 oz increase from 3 weeks ago.  Lynn is happy with my weight progress considering my increase of physical activity. I am sitting at the 5th percentile for weight. Lynn gave Daddy some measurement guides for how much food a 1-3 year old should be taking and it's scarey! These babies must be eating all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment