Friday 29 April 2011

The Blood Test

While I was at GRH, the nurses took one of my blood tests and checked me for a standard set of 28 diseases and disorders.   My mom was called in for a followup visit with me at the hospital where they told her I had screened positive for Glutaric Acidura Type 1.  Also called GA1, this disorder causes an inability for the body to breakdown certain animal proteins.

We were told we would have to go down to Hamilton to have a followup test completed as often the screening results create false positives.  Mom called dad at the office and let him know to make arrangements to be away on Friday.  Dad had just finished the big job he was working on at noon that day and was able to steal away to take us both down.

The next morning we all piled into the car for our trip to McMaster Children's Hospital.  Dad decided he would try a special route to the highway but was surprised to discover he had no idea where he was going.  After 20 minutes on backroads we found an on ramp to the 401.  Thankfully traffic was moving smoothly and we made great time getting to Hamilton. 

We arrived at McMaster and went to the 3rd floor to an area called the specimen collection centre.  The nurses took a blood sample and tried to collect some urine but I made that task a tough one.  After collecting what they could they sent the samples to the lab and mom, dad, and I went down to meet with Christina who mom had spoken with about my results.

While we were chatting with Christina a Doctor named Maria Kozenko joined us to discuss the details of GA1.  While we were discussing the implications of the disorder, another nurse came charging into the room with my morning blood test in hand and shouted "We're going to the ER NOW!"

No comments:

Post a Comment