Saturday 23 April 2011

My Birth

Mom and Dad were at home with uncle Jan chatting in the kitchen while making dinner.   Mom was making some strange faces every few minutes until dad noticed and started to check the clock.  Those strange faces were getting closer and closer until they were only 3 minutes apart.  Dad said let's get this show on the road and mom reluctantly agreed. 

After sending uncle Jan home, mom and dad sped off to Grand River Hospital and proceeded to the 4th floor.  Once there, mom was checked and told she was at 4cm.  The nurse suggested they walk the halls for an hour to see if they could make any progress. 

They walked and walked, and walked some more.  After a few pauses and obvious contractions, they returned to see the nurse.  The walk hadn't made things any better and mom was told she was still at 4cm.   The nurse suggested another round but by this time mommy's legs were pretty tired.  Instead of the walk we just laid down and passed the time.  Mom continued feeling some pretty big contractions and 30 minutes later we were at 7cm and rolling!

Once the news of the 7cm started to spread, the nurse asked if mom wanted an epidural.  At this point the pain was getting pretty intense and mom was looking forward to some relief.  The nurse let us know that the anaesthesiologist was around the corner but had a few people to see before us.  Mom's pain continued to increase and a few minutes later she felt like maybe it was time to PUSH! 

The nurse came back and was told it was time!  With that we were whisked away to the delivery room where mom was checked again and we were at 9cm!   The nurses started to gather around and prep the area for my arrival.  One nurse came by and asked if we still wanted the epidural but noted it would take about 15 minutes.  Mom said I don't think I can wait that long... I NEED TO PUSH!  So mom did.  Four big pushes later and there I was!!!

Mom and Dad named me Ethan Viktor Reimer.  My dad always wanted a boy named Ethan and my great grandpa's name was Victor Reimer.   I was born at 12:29am on Saturday April 23, 2011.  I weighed a tiny 5lbs 13 ounces and everyone said I was such a cutie!

No comments:

Post a Comment